Profile 1976-1987 UK Arrival

After several months traveling overland via Asia and Europe, Andrew arrived in London and had his first show at Vigo Sternberg Galleries, South Audley Street, London.

Finding a studio in Caterham, Surrey, he arranged several hastily prepared outdoor exhibitions before submitting his work before the Fairfield Hall Selection Committee in Croydon. During his second exhibition, his uneasy combination of working between two styles; abstract and representational, gave way to the harmony of landscapes. His first exhibition drew the following headline by Martin Thurston:

"Self-taught Brilliance"

By the time of his second exhibition, and his inaugural incursion into landscapes it is uncanny to read Joy Pringle's critique in the Croydon Advertiser and how her entire article could be written about his work today:

"One can derive aesthetic pleasure from this artist's ability to simplify, to make the most simple scene one of extraordinary appeal"
"...and shares with others the uncanny effect of being both painstaking and yet effortless at the same time"
"His use of colour and his appreciation of the effect of light give all his work a brilliance that is all his own"

This was an exhibition that gave Andrew the confidence to take his work back to London. With a suitcase packed with paintings he approached the prestigious gallery Richard Green Fine Art in Dover Street. Encouraged by the reception to his work by Henry Green when offered a job as a restorer, Andrew was then spotted by the ebullient Bill Patterson from W.H. Patterson Fine Art. This was the beginning of a close working relationship and regular exhibitions followed throughout the 1980s and 1990s.

"Bill Patterson Fine Art was known for having some of the finest 18th and 19th century paintings on his walls and it was a privilege to show alongside such remarkable work"

As his work became recognised he contributed on several occasions to the Royal Academy of Art's Summer Exhibition and following an approach by Sir Ronald Scott returned to New Zealand for the occasion of a number of very successful one-man exhibitions. Dame Kiri Te Kanawa who owned several of Andrew's paintings attended his 1986 sell-out exhibition at the Mayfair gallery, London.

This marked the decline of some very memorable exhibitions. As the economic climate changed and recession deepened, galleries suffered and with two children to raise, Andrew and his family decided to take the big step of moving from London to the small seaside fishing village of Beer in East Devon.

"I have always been private and obsessive about the act of painting and once an exhibition is over I like to clear my mind of everything and anything to do with painting"